I think I did quite well last year resisting beauty releases (especially those of the limited kind) and impulse buys. As such my 2014 Hits won’t be exclusively on products that are released this year but include things that I’ve (re)discovered, have impressed me and constantly reached for. I’ve made a top ten post back in August and the items mentioned in that post are still very relevant. Think of this as more of a Favourites / Most-used of 2014 post.
1. Urban Decay Pulp Fiction eye palette
One of the LE collections this year I fell for. Love this palette even if I do wish the packaging is a little more travel-friendly – tested its portability on a short trip and found it to be a real PITA to pack. It just takes up so much room! I’m not sure if I’ll take it with me on trips again but being a neutral palette it really makes life easy and goes with everything. The texture and quality is amazing. Reviewed here.
2. Tom Ford Orchid Haze
If I could only bring one quad with me on a trip this will be it. It pulls quite neutral and by controling the darkest shade you can adapt it to any day/night look. This is my favourite palette out of everything at the moment (HG?). Also featured in the mid-year top 10 post.
3. Urban Decay Naked 3
I picked this up early in the year 2014 when Sephora France had it back in stock (and it was promptly sold out again). This is my first palette in the Naked series and really my first go at Urban Decay eyeshadows. I resisted 1 & 2 but something about the pink and rose called to me. I have enough browns at home already and thought 3 would be a nice change. I admit I was worried the pinks wouldn’t look good on me (rabbit eye/cried-all-night) but it’s surprisingly easy to wear and versatile. I’m used to quads and at most quints so the size and choices are overwhelming. I’m still on the learning curve with this but it’s been nothing but pleasure each time I reach for it. (more…)
There’s a good reason for the lack of updates – I travelled to Hong Kong without my computer, and to compensate the freed up time spent a bit too much time (and money) at the makeup counters.
Here is the haul, in all its glory:
1. SOFINA Primavista Liquid Foundation UV
2. SOFINA Primavista Multi Cover Base UV
3. SOFINA Primavista Powder Foundation UV
4. Giorgio Armani Waterproof Smooth Silk Eye Pencil in black and brown
5. Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Waterproof Mascara in black
6. Astalift Essence
7. Astalift Jelly Aquarysta
8. Astalift Eye Cream
9. Muji eye pencil sharpener
10. EOS lipbalm in lemondrop
11. YSL Pure Chromatics in #8
12. KOJI Dollywink Volume mascara in black
13. SANA Gel Pencilliner EX in black
14. Prada Infusion de fleur d’oranger eau de parfum
15. Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Silk Eyeshadow in #20 & #24
16. Diorshow New Look Mascara in black
17. Chanel Joues Contraste in #69 Fleur de Lotus
18. Jo Malone Sweet Lime and Cedar Cologne
19. Maybelline Clear & Smooth pressed powder
20. Kanebo Media pressed powder
21. YSL Glossy Stain in #2
22. lunasol powder brush
23. RMK blush brush
Ok. So. They are purchases accumulated over a reasonable period of time. I’ve left out stuff like hand creams, random drugstore lip balms, skincare and sheet masks, but the reviews will be here when I get round to finish the products. I think I’ve exercised quite good restraint with this lot.
I’ve found prices in Hong Kong to be cheaper in general than in Paris. With the exception of the YSL quad – which I could’ve got cheaper here and is therefore my only real regret, everything else is either not available in France or more expensive. Buying Armani was a real pleasure in Hong Kong. The EtK shadows for example are HKD260, on sephora.fr, it is 37.50 euros… so 10 euros of difference.
I haven’t tried every single one of the products. There are a couple that I’m already using (and love) and I will do a write-up on those as soon as I can. I will start with either Armani or Chanel.
These aren’t all the items I brought back with me though – I will do a little surprise post somewhere down the road 😉
I got married earlier in the year, and after some deliberation I decided to do my own makeup. Why? Well …
1. My wedding was small and pretty casual (I chose not to wear a wedding dress)
2. I wanted to look natural and like myself (an enhanced, polished version of course!)
3. Budget and timing – yup, finally realised how much people are charging for bridal makeup.
I figured this would be a great excuse to splurge on products that I can keep afterwards too. The only things I bought for the day were foundation, mascara and lip gloss. Here’s the list of products used: (more…)