By that I mean looking back rather than critiquing releases. I know I tend to repeat this but it’s crazy how time flies. Carpe Diem.
I can definitely do more … if only I’m not so tired/lazy/procrastinating.
We’re halfway through 2014 and have just started seeing Fall collections trickling into blogs [at the time when this post was started – now you can buy the collections]. [Ed #2: now we’re seeing Winter collections …] I have a few favourites that I reach for often during the last six months but that will be for another post (sorry!). For this one I want to tie up some loose ends. Like how since I’ve completely ignored Christmas/New Year on the blog, I still have the resolutions for 2013 hanging in the air.
If you’re too lazy to read that, understandably irrelevant post, first on the list is hitting pan. I accomplished this with two products last year, a powder foundation and my Chanel Tissage blush. I tried to hit pan with NARS Deep Throat but couldn’t manage. I s’pose I kind of grew out of that shade and it made using it a bit of a chore. These blushes are like, 7 years old. *gulp*
All the pans I have at home at the moment
1. Chanel Purete Mat Shine Control Powder
This was purchased when the Purete Mat first launched, like 10 years ago or something like that. It’s kinda blah and doesn’t really keep you shine-free. Nonetheless I’m still plowing through this and hope to get a real, empty Chanel pan. 15g of product here!
2. Sofina Primavista powder foundation
Reviewed here. This is one of the two products I hit pan on last year, and (for me anyway) a recent product too. I haven’t been reaching for this as much though, only because the shade is a little too dark for me now. I didn’t get a chance to get some sun at all since last year.
3. NARS single eyeshadow in Blondie
Again this is from way back. I used to use this for my brows back in those days when I coloured my hair. This sits mostly in neglect, even though I could have reached for this as an eyeshadow but I just don’t as I associate it with brows. 3.5g of product!
4. Bobbi Brown eyeshadow in Saddle
This is my current brow powder. 2.5g – I thought this has more product than the NARS but colour me wrong. Maybe 3-4 years old, can’t remember.
5. Chanel Blush Duo Tweed Effect in 50 Tweed Sienna
Gathering dust since I hit pan on it, this poor thing. 5.5g of product so I still got quite a bit to go. Honestly one of the most easy, no-brainer go-to blushes. But I need to give some love to my other blushes too.
The second thing on the list was to avoid the lure of LE products and be more selective… I think I was more selective in 2013 than 2012, and I’ve been doing good this year only really succumbing to Alluring Aquatic from MAC. Improvement! Last year, every time I bought a makeup product (which ended up like every other month) it was almost always for something LE (which was an escape clause I allowed in my project 10 pan). This year they were mostly staples (like black eyeliners, oil cleansers etc), or items from permanent lineup that I hope will be my regular standby (in other words possible HG material). Interestingly, I don’t have anything LE that’s a HG for me. Discontinued yes but not LE releases.
Continuing on, I did fulfill #6 & 9 – taking care of my skin and washing my brushes. But I’m afraid everything else was sadly lacking in effort. I still haven’t tried Patyka either, going for cheaper pharmacy products instead. I’ll see what happens this year.
No resolutions, just hopes for 2014:
1. More pans. And maybe try to finish a lipstick this year?
2. Manage my stash – the size of my stash is a speck of dust in the world of beauty bloggers, maybe just above average ‘in the real world’. I knew someone who bought one lipstick and one foundation at a time and would use them until they were almost gone. Only then would she go and buy a new lipstick. I will never be that person but maybe I can try to control and pare down my stash in a more reasonable manner. Sometimes I look at all those pretty things and I wonder how I got here/for what purpose.
I just depotted some eye shadows, I suppose that counts towards this?
They’re sort of the same thing aren’t they?
I don’t need anymore of these (and I’m writing this down to help drill the message inside my head):
– eyeshadows (enough – but maybe I’ll allow myself a matte palette? or LORAC Pro? Urban Decay? the new Guerlain? YSL? Aarrghhh)
– lipsticks/glosses (enough – I mean if I’ve never even used up 3 grams of product I don’t think I deserve to buy new ones)
– bronzers (enough)
– highlighters (enough – I have four, all textures: powder/liquid/cream stick/ and one of them is HG Candlelight)
– concealors (enough)
– foundation (happy with what I have now and it’ll take ages to finish)
– primers (enough and not that much of a fan anyway)
– makeup brushes (enough, and I’m not really an aficionado. But I will consider if and when the opportunity arises that I can get my hands on some Hakuhodo/Chikuhodo …)
The only things I’ll allow myself to buy are:
– eyeliners (I do go through a lot now that I’m back to pencils)
– blushes (this is my weak spot so ONLY IF they are really really really exciting)
– perfume (another weak spot. My collection is however, very manageable)
– mascaras, of course.
Yes the voice of reason. But we all know how it goes when you’re innocently clicking online or just happened to be in Sephora.
That’s it for now!